226 Crocker Blvd., Mount Clemens, MI, 48043
Phone: (586) 463-0577
Click here for map
The History of the Mt. Clemens Funeral Home
The Groesbeck Funeral Home originated in 1916 when Mr. Howard V. Groesbeck Sr. established himself as a funeral director at 105 Cass Ave (corner of Cass and S.B. Gratiot). He lived there with his family and ran the business at that site until joining with Mr. Henry LaCroix in 1925. LaCroix & Groesbeck Funeral Directors relocated to 75 N. Front (Broadway, now N.B. Gratiot) until 1930, at which time the business moved back to 105 Cass. 1946 brought a new addition to the business with Howard V. Jr. partnering with his father upon the retirement of Henry LaCroix. Both Howard Sr. and Howard Jr. functioned in the position of County Coroner for a number of years. Mr. Groesbeck Jr. purchased the business from his father in 1949 and moved the location of both the business and residence to 226 Crocker Blvd.
The property at 226 Crocker was owned by a George & Antoinette Howard dating back to 1899. Of note, 250 Crocker, also known as Clara's Summer Cottage, was also owned by the Howard's. George sold the property to Clara and Charles Smith (sister of Antoinette). George was a capitalist from New York and was well known throughout the country having held positions in advertising and sporting circles. The Howard's and Smith's summered in their Mount Clemens homes, as did so many notable people of the time.
As noted in the Monitor Leader in 1899:
"Geo. W. Howard, of New York and Mount Clemens, arrived at the Avery for bath treatments as he was afflicted rheumatic gout. Mrs. Howard is here also.
"George W. Howard died at his home, 226 Crocker Blvd, Saturday afternoon at 5:30 p.m. at the age of 67 years….For 18 years he spent his winters in the south and his summers at his home here. The past two seasons, however, he remained in the city on account of his ill health. He is survived by his wife Antoinette and one sister Clara E. Cromwell, who were with him when he died. A short service was held at the home on Crocker. The remains were taken to New York City for Interment."
Antoinette Howard retained ownership of the home until selling it to the Groesbeck family in 1952.
The Wm. R. Hamilton Co. purchased the Groesbeck Funeral Home in 1970, and has been a part of Mount Clemens and the surrounding area for 36 years. Now, the 5th Generation of Hamilton is carrying on the over 150 year tradition of service and involvement in the community.